Friend of Member Edwin Solano
May 19, 2010
Mr. John Tonelli, Executive Director
Advisory Committee on Judicial Conduct
Richard J. Hughes Justice Complex
3rd Floor, North Wing
P.O. Box 037
Trenton, NJ 08625
Dear Mr. Tonelli:
I would like to bring this matter to your attention. I believe my friend Kewal Chopra, who is supposed to be under the care of the court and the office of the Public Guardian of New Jersey, is in a worst situation than before they took over.
Enclosed are documents from previous correspondences. The current predicament of Mr. Chopra raises more questions than answers.
In 2005, Mr. Chopra went to India to visit his relatives and properties. Mr. Chopra instructed me to prepare one of his houses located at 38 College Street, Jersey City, New Jersey. He was to donate it to Rutgers University Foundation and in return, he will get an annuity from it. He intimated to me that he would also like his other two houses to be fixed for rentals. I was reimbursed for my expenses by his accountant James Weeks.
Mr. Chopra made a SPOA in early 2005 for Yvonne le Rougatel, a very close friend who helped manage his finances and James Weeks, who they take care of the bills and maintain his properties. Unfortunately, Yvonne passed away in mid-2005, leaving James Weeks as the sole financial undertaker of Mr. Chopra under that SPOA. Thus, Mr. Chopra’s problem was born.
Before he was under the custody of the Office of Public Guardian of New Jersey, Mr. Chopra used to religiously go to the bank and does his groceries once a week He goes to the post office every other day to get his mails. Mr. Chopra also drives and likes to run his other cars at least once a week. He is never a danger to himself or to his estate nor to others
In 2006, before Social Services came into the life of Kewal Chopra, receives pensions as a retired math professor and ceramics engineer from Rutgers University. Now, he is just a very old, isolated man and a virtual prisoner in his own house.
Social Security benefit $17,000.00
New Jersey Pension benefit 2,000.00
Rutgers Charitable Gift Annuity 24,040.00
Dividends from shares of stocks 12,000.00
Total Annual Income $55,040.00
During that time also, Mr. Chopra has the following receivables which I believe were already paid and received:
State of New Jersey for right of way $12,176.89 (attachment1)
Yvonne Le Rougatel’s Will 60,000.00
He also has the following shares of stocks:
Global Resource Investment $196,226.40 as of 4/06 (attachment2)
Westminster Securities $ 43,459.88 as of 9/06 (attachment3)
Estimated Valued of Mr. Chopra’s net worth is $ 3 million.
Please note that James Weeks is very much aware of all these things.
Why did Debbie Cutrone, Senior Investigator of APS, understated the value of Chopra’s properties by reporting less than half of its real value. Only $150,000.00 in shares of stocks and $1.15 million in value of real estate? Please see (attachment4)
Why were five of his properties sold at low appraised value?
Under the authority and watch of Commissioner Helen Dodick, ALL the properties of Kewal Chopra in New York and Jersey City were either left in very poor condition, or sold at very low prices (enclosed copy of tax record) e.g., the property in 36 College Street was sold for $191,000.00 by OPG, It was flipped over and sold within a year for $315,000.00, for a clear profit of $124,000.00. (attachment5) Four other properties were sold in the same year. Where did the proceeds go?
Is there a committee that monitors the Office of the Guardian? If there is, what are they doing in the obviously criminal treatment of Mr. Chopra’s person and property? How are income and expenses reported?
Why were his friends, who have long term relationship with Mr. Chopra, not allowed to testify on his behalf in the guardianship proceedings? Why only strangers without any long term or meaningful relationship with him allowed? Is it because every one would negate their charges of incapacity leveled against Mr. Chopra?
Why are friends whom Mr. Chopra desires to talk and see banned to visit or not allowed to even talk to him on the phone?
Dr. Kurani rendered his professional judgment that Mr. Chopra lacks the mental capacity to manage his affairs. This was used by the Office of Public Guardian to justify its custody over the person and property of Mr. Chopra. Why did then Dr. Kurani accepted personal checks from Mr. Chopra on two occasions in connection with that professional services rendered to Mr. Chopra, from which services of Dr. Kurani rendered his finding of Chopra’s mental incapacity. If he is incapable of managing his affairs and lacks mental capacity, why did Dr. Kurani then accept those checks from Mr. Chopra?
Why was the mental reevaluation of Mr. Chopra after a year, done by an internist and not a psychiatrist?
Why were his personal properties such as his car collection, tools, equipments, photographs, and memorabilia disposed of against his will or without his knowledge?
Did the Executor, James Weeks and James Dawson of the Rutgers University Foundation, Lawrence Rosa of Social Services and Helen Dodick, Lawyer for the office of the Public Guardian, who later became the Commissioner, conspired in depriving Mr. Chopra of his alienable right of enjoyment of the fruit of his labor and property, including his freedom for the rest of his life?
Why were guardianship proceedings charges paid from Mr. Chopra’s estate? This only means that Mr. Chopra is paying lawyers and guardians to testify against him.
With Mr. Chopra’s annual pensions, why was there a need to sell his stocks and properties. His annual pension is more than enough for Mr. Chopra to have a decent living.
How much of his money is left? Who does the annual financial report on the estate of Mr. Chopra?
There are more questions but those that I have listed here are more than enough for a reasonable mind to order for an immediate and thorough investigation of the plight of Mr. Kewal Chopra in the hands of an organized cabal of thieves in the office of PUBLIC GUARDIAN of New Jersey.
It is clear in this case, how a law , designed primarily to protect the elderly and their well being, is manipulated and abused by the greed and corruption of those people , who unfortunately, are the very same people called by law to implement it.
The abuse of the laws on guardianship in very prevalent today. Please visit the website www.StopGuardianAbuse.org. to see more of these abuses.
Thank you very much for your attention to this matter. If you have questions or clarification, please do not hesitate to call me.
/s/ Edwin Solano
personal friend of Mr. Chopra
cc: Dr. Kurani
The Investigators,ABC News
Indian Consulate of New York
The Adult Protective Services
ISOLATE, MEDICATE, STEAL THE ESTATE
• IN THE BEGINNING OF 2005, KEWAL CHOPRA DONATED TO THE RUTGERS FOUNDATION, ONE OF HIS HOUSES VALUED $240,000 IN EXCHANGE FOR MONTHLY ANNUITY $2,000 A MONTH FOR LIFE AND HE MADE THEM BENEFICIARY OF HIS WILL ON ACCOUNT OF THAT. ·
• MR. CHOPRA MADE HIS ACCOUNTANT, THE EXECUTOR OF HIS WILL AND A SPECIAL POWER OF ATTORNEY FOR THE ACCOUNTANT AND YVONNE LE ROUGATEL.
• · YVONNE DIED IN MID-2005. TO ENSURE THE WILL WOULD NOT BE CHANGED, THE ACCOUNTANT REPORTED MR. CHOPRA TO THE APS OF MIDDLESEX COUNTY AND CONSPIRED WITH THE ORGANIZED GROUP IN THE SYSTEM.
• · MR. CHOPRA WAS DECLARED INCOMPETENT, WHEN IN TRUTH HE WAS NOT, BUT WAS MERELY OLD, AND WAS PUT UNDER GUARDIANSHIP. THE COURT RETAINED THE SERVICES OF THE ACCOUNTANT. WHO IMMEDIATELY SOLD $69,000.00. OF MR. CHOPRA’S STOCKS. NOTE THAT SINCE HE WAS UNDER APS, THE FOUNDATION ONLY GAVE $4,000.00 TO MR. CHOPRA’S ACCOUNT, AND THEN IT STOPPED. WHY?
• · MR. CHOPRA’S ATTEMPT TO REVOKE THE SPECIAL POWER OF ATTORNEY AND REVISED HIS FIRST WILL WAS SUCCESSFULLY OPPOSED AND CONTESTED BY SOCIAL SERVICES. THE LAWYER THEN OF THE SOCIAL SERVICES IS THE CURRENT ACTING COMMISSIONER OF THE OFFICE OF THE PUBLIC GUARDIAN.
• · THE NEXT FOUR YEARS, MR. CHOPRA WAS GIVEN $300.00 A MONTH FOR FOOD. HE WAS NOT ALLOWED TO SEE HIS CLOSE FRIENDS AND WAS PREVENTED TO DO THE USUAL CHORES HE USED TO WHEN HE WAS NOT UNDER PUBLIC GUARDIANSHIP. IT WAS A LIFE OF LONELY ISOLATION AND HE VIRTUALLY LIVED LIKE A PAUPER. WHY?
• · ON THE FIFTH YEAR, DOTTY SALMORIN, A CLOSE FRIEND WHO LIVES WITH MR. CHOPRA, WAS ASKED TO MOVE OUT AND WAS REPLACED WITH CAREGIVERS 24/7.
• · ON THE FIFTH YEAR WITH THE CAREGIVERS, MR. CHOPRA’S BODY AND HEALTH DETERIORATED; HIS HOUSE WAS CLEANED OF HIS PERSONAL BELONGINGS. HE WAS GIVEN MEDICATION, WHENEVER HE ASKS TO SEE HIS PROPERTIES OR FRIENDS.
• HE WAS NOT ALLOWED TO EXERCISE AND WAS KEPT IN A DARK ROOM IN THE HOUSE WITH NO TV NOR RADIO. WHY KEPT MR. CHOPRA ISOLATED, AND IN SUCH DIRE CONDITIONS, FROM THE LIFE AND PEOPLE HE LOVED?
• · IN FIVE YEARS, MORE THAN A MILLION DOLLAR DISAPPEARED WITH NO EXPLANATION. PROPERTIES WERE SOLD AT LOWBALL PRICES AND SERVICES WERE PAID TO THE MAX, WITH MINIMAL CARE.
• · WHAT HAPPENED TO HIS ANNUITY WORTH $236,000., HIS $40,000 ANNUAL PENSION; HIS SAVINGS AND STOCKS WORTH $300,000.00; THE PROCEEDS TO HIS PROPERTIES, WORTH A MILLION DOLLARS, SOLD POSTHASTE AND NEEDLESSLY.
• · I HAVE VIDEOS OF MR. CHOPRA A FEW WEEKS BEFORE HE PASSED AWAY, COMPLAINING OF HIS SITUATION AND HIS GREAT FEAR FOR HIS LIFE.
• · GIVEN THE SITUATION HE WAS MADE TO BEAR, MR. CHOPRA WAS VIRTUALLY SENTENCED TO DEATH FOR BEING A SENIOR CITIZEN, WITH LOTS OF MONEY AND ASSETS IN MILLIONS, BUT WITHOUT ANY OFFSPRING OR RELATIVE HERE IN AMERICA.
• · NOBODY KNEW HOW AND WHEN MR. CHOPRA DIED.
• WHY? WAS THE BODY OF MR. CHOPRA CREMATED TO COVER UP THEIR THE CRIMINAL NEGLIGENCE HE WAS MADE TO SUFFER?
• WHAT A COINCIDENCE! THE LAWYER HIRED BY APS TO HAVE MR. CHOPRADECLARED INCAPACITATED, WAS THE SAME PERSON LATER APPOINTED BY THE JUDGE ,WHO APPROVED TO SELL HIS PROPERTIES, TO BECOME THE COMMISSIONER OF THE OFFICE OF THE PUBLIC GUARDIAN. SHE WAS THE ONE WHO GAVE ORDERS NOT TO RESUSCITATE MR. CHOPRA IN CASE OF EMERGENCY. DOES MR. CHOPRA HAVE A LIVING WILL? WHO SIGNED IT? IS IT GENUINE?
• · THE FOUNDATION WAS LEFT 7 PROPERTIES OUT OF 11 PROPERTIES. WHY WAS THE FOUNDATION SILENT ALL THE TIME THIS WAS HAPPENING TO MR. CHOPRA? IS IT COMPLICIT TO SOMETHING ILLEGAL?
• THE LIFE AND DEATH OF MR. CHOPRA WAS CRUEL AND UNLAWFUL UNDER THE OFFICE OF THE PUBLIC GUARDIAN OF NJ. IT SHOULD BE INVESTIGATED AND THOSE GUILTY BE BROUGHT BEFORE THE BAR OF THE LAW.
By: Edwin Solano,
Jersey City, NJ